Lives and works in Charlotte, NC
(b. 1986, American)
8-Word Artist Statement:
“Drawing parallels between humanity and the manufactured world.”
As an artist I am heavily influenced by infrastructure. I am interested in how the technologies of the self are often reflected in the physical technologies we create. My intent is to draw parallels between our humanity and the manufactured world we build. I often represent mass-produced forms with materials that are personally significant or precious, while using scale to further convey an intimacy with the viewer to humanize the experience. Using the aesthetic vocabulary of industry and function, I discuss human intention, need, and desire.
- Matthew Steele received a BFA in sculpture from Indiana University.
- He was an artist-in-residence at McColl Center for Art + Innovation (2012) and Goodyear Arts (2015) where he continues to be a member of the Goodyear Arts Collective.
- He has exhibited his work at Lotus Projects (Miami, FL), Mint Museum of Art (Charlotte, NC), The Sculpture Center (Cleveland, OH), Greenhill Center for North Carolina Art (Greensboro, NC), McColl Center for Art + Innovation (Charlotte, NC), the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Central Piedmont Community College (Charlotte, NC), Winthrop University (Rock Hill, SC), among others.
- He has completed numerous commissions and site-specific projects that range from small interior works to large exterior sculptures.
- Steele has work in private and public collections nationally and internationally including AXA, Art in Embassies, and Beacon Partners.
PRESS + MEDIA
IN PROCESS: Matthew Steele
[Catalogue, Hodges Taylor]
Matthew Steele brings a New Face to Providence Road
Carolina Art Crush: Matthew Steele